Raining Petals

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Glow in the Dark Mummy Pumpkin

I first made Marvin the Mummy Pumpkin 4 years ago at a church activity and I absolutely loved him. He popped up yesterday morning in my Facebook memories and I knew it was time to create
 Marvin the II. 
Wrapping a mummy pumpkin is the perfect way to get festive without the mess and time consumption that comes with gutting and carving a pumpkin. It took me 10 minutes from start to finish, so this is the perfect activity for the time crunched peeps. 
Here is how I did it:

Supplies Needed:
*Pumpkin 
(I used one my 3 year old painted and lost interest in)
*Modge Podge or similar adhesive
*Sponge brush 
*Gauze
(I used 2.5 rolls and my gauze was way too high quality. I stopped in at Walgreens to grab some and it was too expensive but I did NOT want to go to another store. But find the cheapest gauze you can and get a couple of rolls...I must say..this high quality stuff really did wrap it well but you get a "creepier" quality with the cheaper stuff. You can even use crepe paper.)
*a pair of googly eye
*glow in the dark pain




Paint the entire pumpkin very generously with your adhesive. 


Now start wrapping the pumpkin with gauze in whatever haphazard way you want. You may need to paint some more adhesive on the pumpkin or gauze itself as you go to get a good stick. 

Once you have a good wrap on it apply the googly eyes. I just dabbed Modge Podge on the backs of the eyes and they stuck on great!

Now cut some single strand of gauze and place on your pumpkin to give it a more textured look. I like to drape some over the eyes so they are a teensy bit covered. 

Voila! A Mummy Pumpkin. Seriously the easiest thing ever. If you are going to put your pumpkin in a high wind area I would suggest also painting over the entire finished product with more adhesive so that is is really glued down. Otherwise, you are finished and can stop here. However, one more step to make this baby glow!
 I dabbed on this little container of glow in the dark pain. I only had enough to do the front. The picture below shows you it works fantastically! (though not a fab picture) So, so fun! My boys love this aspect. 

Now display him properly! Introducing Marvin the II. Proudly taking up residence by our front door! 


 It would be fun to do a family of mummies in different sizes...you can sketch on a stitched mouth or use that gray Halloween netting you see around. Add a spider or mouse sitting on top for a fun piece of flair.
Happy Halloween!



No comments: