Raining Petals

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Little Hands

When I was a little girl, walking beside my mom on our various errands, I would often slip my hand into hers. Most often she would return my gesture with three hand squeezes. 1-2-3...I-Love-You. I later learned to return her squeezes with four of my own. 1-2-3-4...I-Love-You-Too.

Tonight I tucked Carter into his bed and read him two stories. Then we said prayers and shut off the light.  Instead of leaving him to fall asleep on his own, this time I laid beside him in the dark for a while. After a few minutes I felt his little hand slip into mine. Soon after, I felt three little squeezes. 1-2-3...I-Love-You. I returned his gesture with four of my own. 1-2-3-4...I-Love-You-Too.

I am reveling. Such a simple, sweet gesture passed down from my mom, to me, to my child. It completely made my night.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that made me tear up.*sniff* So sweet.

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

So sweet.

Judy said...

One of the best traditions ever!

Unknown said...

That is so sweet. I love sweet little hands too. Isn't it so fun to be a mom.. and think about what your mom was like when you were little? Fun perspective

Us Bailey's said...

That is about the sweetest thing I've heard of! We do something similar with 3 squeezes but the boys don't do it back. I love hearing such sweet stories-- enjoy that little guy of yours and good luck!

Anonymous said...

How stinkin sweet. Love, Kathy W