Raining Petals

Monday, October 20, 2008

Dollars for Diapers

Okay...I decided to do something about my thoughts...put them to action I guess you could say! Remember back when I watched "Oprah's Big Give" and wanted to come up with a good idea?!?!?...well...the diaper relief thought has stayed with me ever since then and I have decided to give it a whirl. I do not know what will come of it....but I figure if we can help even one family...diaper one little tush then it will be worth it!

So...I have created "Dollars for Diapers"...a diaper relief effort. I am dreaming big and want to reach every corner of the United States. I have seen the blogging community do great things...the efforts for Nie Nie have been incredible...and I know we can do more. Where there are numbers there is power...and where there is a group of moms there are caring hearts. I trust that every person on my blog roll will find this effort a worthy cause and will get involved...even if that just means posting a blurb on your blog and linking your blog to the diaper blog.

I am asking each and every one of my readers to support me in this cause! I believe even with just my small group of readers we can make a difference...but if my readers reach out to all of their readers...who in turn reach out to their readers...then this effort can be huge and we can help hundred upon hundreds who need our help.

Families are having to stretch their dollars even more than ever before. And while we all may be feeling the pinch there is always something we can do or give! I want to help families who may be making a decision on whether to pay the power bill or diaper their baby. Those are decision people shouldn't have to make...and ones WE CAN MAKE EASIER!! We can do this and I want all of you to do it with me!!!

Dollars for Diapers is accepting donations through Pay Pal on the blog. We will be setting up a PO Box so that we can also receive checks and money orders by mail...as well as donated goods. We are focused on diapers but also want to be able to provide baby wipes, diaper rash creams, and other baby care items...as well as potty training items and tips and education where we can. For now I am keeping it simple...we just want people to donate diapers!

All the logistics have not been determined. We are waiting to see if this will be what we hope it will. The way diapers are distributed will be based on the support we receive...the funds we collect...and the needs of our communities. Currently I am counting on my friends that I know and trust to act as "Diaper Stations" dotting the USA. Right now I just need people in all locations who are willing to act as a "station". From there I will be in contact with you about your community needs...the areas surrounding you..and such...and as funds come in they will be distributed through out the stations...the station managers will be in charge of purchasing diapers with the funds we send and giving them to families who will best benefit from them, or by contacting community programs who may assist you in finding families in need. I would also like Station managers who want to be active in this cause and spread the word...hold local community drives and fund raising events to the best of your abilities. This is not a requirement though...if anyone is interested in just being a home base...where diapers can be distributed then I want you! Please contact me and let me know what you want to do to help!

I know things may seem daunting, people start to doubt what will come of ideas, it may seem you do not have time...but we CAN do this. I can't do it alone...I need all of you. We can make a difference.

So...to start...write a blurb about Dollars for Diapers and link your blog to dollarsfordiapers.blogspot.com. Click on the "Follow this blog" button on the diaper blog. Doing this allows you to know when the blog is updated...but most importantly...when someone looks at your profile it tells them the blogs you follow...if someone is interested in you then they will be interested in the blogs you follow. And it will show support in numbers...which will make new comers to the effort feel confident and comfortable with making a donation or getting involved. If you feel you can't do anything else this is all I ask of you!! Please take just a few minutes to write a quick post and link and then you are done!!! If you would like to help more e-mail me at dollarsfordiapers@gmail.com.

I am writing to Pampers first because I am using the logo "Every baby deserves to be Pampered"...and I want Pampers to sponsor this. From there I will reach out to anyone and everyone I can think of. If you have ideas let me know! If you have the "ins" on fundraising and asking for support help me out!

If you have ideas on how to improve the blog...links I should include...things I should say or do...ANYTHING...then I want you!! I want everyone to feel like this is their project and work together on a common goal.

Sooo...I need some motivational speaking skills...But WHO IS WITH ME??!?!?!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I would love to do whatever you want me to! I am really proud that you are doing this! It is seriously amazing! Something that really is such a little thing that can help SO much! Go Laura! So let me know what else can be done so that we can get it moving along! I 'll post on my blog about it too!

Shane and Amy Jo said...

I'm in!!! I would love to help in any way that I can. Way to take initiative and try to make a difference in giving big. You say the word. Diaper station...I can do that! I'll try to spread the word!

julie said...

Ok, I'll for sure be a diaper station. And maybe later when it doesn't feel so overwhelming I'll do a fundraiser. One step at a time right? You're the best!

Ryan and Leah said...

Your so good! Let me know what I can do to help. And of course we want to play in December name the day!

Jason, Amanda, Brayden and Dillon said...

Awesome Laura! I'd love to help too. Just let me know what you need.

Unknown said...

I can be a diaper station as well. I can also pass out fliers since a lot of my friends don't do the blogger thing.
Good job. Remember that by small and simple things, great things shall come to pass. You're amazing!

Katie said...

I'm so with you! I was inspired by your post a while ago, and talked to my Girl Scouts about doing a diaper drive. They're 7, and thrilled about it. (We're all about helping, and what's better than helping babies???) I mentioned it to one of the regional leaders, and the ENTIRE UNIT is going to get involved! We're planning a big drive in February, and I'd be happy to be a home base in my area as long as you need me.

Bradbury Bunch said...

Way to Go Laura! How about YOU run for president? I would be willing to be a station for diapers for starters--it's a great idea, and I really do believe that if each and every one of us pitch in a little bit, that we can MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE!

YOU'RE AMAZING LAURITA!!!

Shelby said...

Good for you for taking action on something like this!