Raining Petals

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Meeting Mary and other Stuff

I recently got a root canal. Ugh. A positive though is I am no longer in pain and I met a really awesome lady, Tammy, the dental assistant who...assisted...the dentist. We talked quite a bit and I learned that her 2 year old daughter is babysat by a lady just up the road from me. Tammy just praised this lady and said she was more comfortable leaving her child with her than with her own mother. I asked for this lady's number.

Josh and I have been tossing around the idea of finding someone to watch Cannon maybe 2-3 times a week for a couple of hours in the morning so we could both get some work done and also to get Cannon used to getting to know other people. He has been rather sheltered his short (almost) 10 months and doesn't really realize people exist outside of our family.

So I contacted her and made arrangements to go meet her on Monday (yesterday). She is maybe 1/2 mile away in a cute neighborhood. Nice, clean home. Nice fenced yard. Mary is a grandmother who watches her two granddaughters, Tammy's little girl, and 2-3 other little girls on different days of the week. She is super excited to have a little boy in the mix. She is very bubbly and outgoing and picked Cannon right up. Cannon, on the other hand, is nervous and wary and immediately started bawling. So we sat on the rug and met all the little girls and played with toys. We decided that we would leave Cannon for an hour that day and go get the oil changed in the van. It was really hard for me to leave him but I just have to keep reminding myself that he is safe and being cared for and that he will build a relationship with Mary and eventually love her. And I desperately need someone I can count on to be there when I do need someone to watch Cannon if Josh isn't available. We have no family or grandparents in the area and all of my friends have children and super busy lives of their own...so this is a good thing. It will definitely be an adjustment but I hope it turns out very positively.

Cannon went back today from 8:00-11:00. He cried on and off but also played with the girls and even took a nap on Mary's chest. When I walked in to get him he started crying and hugged me so tight. I am glad he loves me so much. The feeling is mutual.

After I picked him up we ran to Kroger to pick up some items I needed for dinner. Tonight we fed the missionaries. Every lady in the store has to stop and talk to Cannon. This time he was worried each of those ladies was going to try to take him.

After we got home we ate lunch and played for a while, then we laid down to nurse and take a nap. After he finally fell into a deep enough sleep, I was able to leave Cannon in the bed and go out in the kitchen and call Casey and load the dishwasher.  After finishing up Carter arrived home from school long enough to say hello and then he was out the door playing.

Cannon woke up shortly after Carter got home because Carter does not know the meaning of "quiet" and slams the door when he goes in and out. arrrgh. So I nursed him and to my surprise Julie called me! She rarely calls during the day. Our chats are usually reserved for nights after kids are in bed. So I chatted with her while I watched Cannon play in his room.

After hanging up with Julie I started to prepare dinner for the missionaries. The menu included Red Beans and Rice (with smoked sausage), green salad with an array of toppings, a delicious fresh fruit bowl, and crusty french bread. For dessert we had chocolate cookies and ice cream. It was all delicious if I do say so myself. The missionaries then gave Carter a lesson on baptism to prepare him for his upcoming birthday and turning 8. It was a good lesson and I enjoy having the missionaries in our home.

I must also note before the missionaries arrived my visiting teachers stopped by briefly. Rena Smith and Noemi Call. We chatted for a few minutes and then they left. Cannon was also terrified of them. Did I ruin my child?

The day ended with me loading the dishwasher, mopping the kitchen floor, and folding a load of laundry. We also called Grandma DeAnn on Skype to sing Happy Birthday to her and show her the gift card we got her but have yet to send. I am not sure why getting something in the mail is so hard for me to do but it takes me forever!!

Another good day in the books!

No comments: