Raining Petals

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Late Night huh

Hi. I am up late again tonight. It is just about 2 a.m. I have been thinking about turning in...but I don't know what it is about me...I don't like going to bed! It is not that I can't fall asleep...if I went and got in bed I would be asleep in no time...I guess I often feel like there is so much I could be doing, learning, reading in these hours and I hate to waste 'em! I know some of you are thinking..."SLEEP...A WASTE???... that is blasphemy!"...which will be totally true for me in the morning!

I haven't had any genius blog ideas lately (because the rest of my posts have been down right award worthy;) so I really don't have anything to say...hhmmmmm.

Oh! I am happy because I actually set a goal for the year and completed it last week sometime. I set a goal to read 12 books this year...I wanted to just average one a month! I did it...hooray! I know many of you have doubled, tripled, what have you, that number so hooray for you too! However, I am a slow reader. It is not that I can't read fast...but I don't like the sound of my "head voice" speeding through the words. To me it is as annoying as listening to someone reading out loud in class and just getting through it as fast as possible, everything all slurred together...no punctuation and what not. So...the way I read in my head sounds a lot like a person might narrate a book on tape. Therefore, it takes me a couple days extra to finish a book when compared to many of my fellow readers. Does this make sense? How do you read in your head?

The list of books I have completed can be found if you scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN to the end of my blog...be careful...it really is a long way down there. None of the books have been life changing or truly incredible...but some were quite entertaining...while others flopped. And to me it doesn't matter how many words a book has...when I have read front cover to back I call it good...whether it had 20,000 words or 200 thousand...a book is a book. Anything you think I absolutely HAVE to read??? ...I would love to hear your suggestions!

9 comments:

Bradbury Bunch said...

Hey Laurita! I'm a lot like you...staying up late--because it's officially "ME" time!! Maybe we should have a 2AM conversation sometime on the phone!! :)

I've heard the TWILIGHT book along with Eclipse are MUST READS! I keep wanting to go check it out at the library. You might've already read it since I didn't scroll down to see your list. Also 5 people you meet in Heaven is a good one. So good "readinns" And by the way 12 books is MORE than I've accomplished this year!!! GREAT JOB!!

P-S I love your comments! Thanks for each and every one of them!!!!

Ryan and Leah said...

Ok so I think that sleep is highly overated! But I only say that cause I haven't had much lately! As for books I also have heard much about twilight series and I love lds romance so Anita stansfield, Rachel Ann nunes, Michelle Ashmen Bell. Those are authors that I love. We miss you. Keep in touch!

Jason, Amanda, Brayden and Dillon said...

Man, you are amazing....I don't think I could will my eyes to stay open that late if someone paid me...I am pathetic!! I can barely keep 'em open to wake up and feed Dillon....he should count his lucky stars that I manage to do it :)
And, I am SO impressed you read that many books, that is such a great goal. I think you may have inspired me to do the same....thanks!

julie said...

SLEEP...A WASTE?!?!...BLASPHEMY!

Hey, maybe you should try My Sister's Keeper..I think you would love it.

Happy Thought, Indeed! said...

hahahaha, Julie...way to stir up conflict!

Hey, great post, Laura!

Samuel Johnson said, "Books like friends, should be few and well-chosen."

It made me think--I love to get through a lot of books really fast--and on Goodreads, you'll see that not many get the 5 star rating. Maybe I should be more selective, and then take time to enjoy the books like you do.

In response to the inner narrative in your head, you should talk to Dave--NOT! He got on a kick about speed reading, and there's a whole section just on silencing the inner voice so you can read faster. I happen to like my inner voice(s)! Even though I go fast, when there's dialog, each character has their own voice, and if the author is really good, those voices are really distinct.

haha, I'm such a blabbermouth!

Good job on reaching your goal!

Brandi said...

Ha sleep is for the weak, wait I go to bed early, so I guess what I am saying is I am weak? ***SIGH*** Miss you guys so much!

The Greaves Family said...

I love it when my kids are sleeping. I always think of all these things I could do and get done put it never happens I just stay up and play! Then I pay for it when my little one gets up at 7:00 in the morning. Reading 12 books in a year is great! I haven't even read one yet or for that matter started reading one!
Congratulations on reaching your goal!

Brandi said...

Kaiden is definitely a boy through and through...would you expect anything different with Miller being his Dad? And Kennedy, oh man, I don't think it gets much more girly than her...she is a princess and a half...with her daddy wrapped around her finger to prove it :) Lagoon is always fun because it brings back memories...like Pioneer Village, my favorite! You had a late night like me last night!

Amy S said...

You are so funny. I love reading your blog. I also love the comments you leave. You really should plan a trip down here. It would be so fun to go to Fiesta Texas and Schlitterbaun. I have no idea how to spell that. We went last summer and loved it. So far we like San Antonio its just different than home-but good.